This little piggy went to market,
This little piggy stayed home,
This little piggy had roast beef ,
This little piggy had none
... and this little piggy cried ~ wee wee wee
.... all the way home.

Sunday 1 January 2012

Cranberry Steamed Pudding





I first tasted Cranberry Steamed Pudding at the One of a Kind Gift Show in Toronto several years ago. We bought a couple of them but have not seen the company since.  Last year I decided to attempt it myself, it was a success so I am again making it for our New Years dinner dessert.



Recipe 


1/3 cup hot water
1 tbsp. baking soda
2 cups (8 oz.) cranberries, chopped
1/2 cup molasses
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup flour


In mixing bowl, combine water and baking soda. Immediately add remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour batter into well greased pudding mold or oven-proof bowl. Cover tightly with foil. Put a rack in the bottom of a large kettle. Place mold or bowl on rack. Add boiling water to 2” depth. Cover kettle and boil gently, replacing water as needed. Steam 1 hour or until cake tests done. Cool for 10 minutes. Unmold.




My dad would always make Christmas pudding for us when we were small and I had always wanted to recreate that wonderful taste experience.  Several years ago when I saw a steamed pudding mold on sale at Williams Sonoma I grabbed it in hopes of some day using it.  It has come in handy as I have been making cranberry pudding.




Serve with:

Butter Sauce

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. half & half cream

FOR SAUCE: Heat all ingredients in saucepan until butter is melted and sugar dissolved. Serve pudding and sauce warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment